Do you get anxiety during dental visits? Do you have trouble staying still during long periods? Have you had trouble getting numb in the past?
We recognize that some of our patients need more than the traditional methods of numbing. Our team works hard to make sure that you have a comfortable, positive dental experience which is why we are pleased to offer IV Sedation to our patients If you would like to experience a little extra comfort during your next visit, contact us to schedule an IV Sedation consultation.
HOW IV SEDATION DENTISTRY WORKS
The first step in the IV Sedation process is to schedule a free consultation, which lasts between 45 minutes and an hour. This is to discuss your dental needs and provide the best treatment options for your situation. There may be an examination and x-ray at the time of consultation, which typically lasts 15 minutes and is used to help better assess your treatment needs. Once the best treatment plan is selected for you, we will continue by discussing financials, consents, vitals, possible medication, and scheduling an appointment.
IV Sedation appointments are generally scheduled for the morning and can last from 1 to 4 hours depending on your treatment needs. Upon arriving for you appointment, our team will be waiting to greet you and escort you to a private room where you will be receiving treatment. A team member will gently place an IV and administer medication to help you into a deeper state of relaxation. Once your treatment is complete, you will wake up with little to no memory of the appointment and with a beautiful new smile.
Due to the nature of IV Sedation, you will need someone to accompany you to and from your appointment as you will not be able to drive yourself after your treatment.
COMMON QUESTIONS ABOUT IV SEDATION DENTISTRY
We understand that you may have many questions about sedation dentistry before receiving treatment. Here are some of the most common questions and answers about sedation dentistry:
- Will I feel anything during my treatment?In most cases, patients do not feel anything. There is minimal discomfort, and many patients wake up feeling relaxed and comfortable with almost no memory of the treatment.
- Is sedation dentistry the same as being unconscious?No. You will still be conscious and responsive but you will be in a deep state of relaxation.
- Is sedation dentistry safe?Sedation dentistry is a safe and effective way for many patients to receive dental treatment. Our team will help you decide if IV Sedation is right for you.
- How long will it take the sedation to wear off?The time it takes for the sedatives to wear off depends on the dose you’ve received, how long your treatment is, and how quickly your own body can recover. Due to this, it is required that you have a family member or friend drive you to and from your appointment. After your treatment, you should not drive, drink alcohol, or operate machinery.
- Am I a good candidate for sedation dentistry?Any patient, from child to adult, who experiences dental anxiety is a good candidate for sedation dentistry. If you have any of the following fears or concerns, ask your doctor about sedation dentistry as an option for your next dental treatment:
- Extreme dental anxiety, or fear of visiting the dentist
- Past traumatic dental experience
- Inability to handle the smells or noises at a dentist’s office
- Overly sensitive teeth, a strong gag reflex, or trouble getting numb
- Need for a more complex dental treatment
- The desire for a more comfortable dental treatment
If you feel that you could benefit from sedation dentistry, please contact us to schedule a free consultation.